Monday 1 October 2012

Decide to survive, that's where it starts to get better

Brave fight against depression

ANGELINE Dunne wants everyone to know its "okay" to take anti-depressants.
The brave Nambour mum has spoken out after struggling with depression ever since she was abused in her early childhood. Her healing began with one simple decision - to be a survivor.

She said she realised she had spent too long letting her abuser "have the upper hand".

"I stumbled upon this one day on my healing roller coaster. The day that I decided to be a survivor and no longer a victim, saw my life turn around."

Adopting the "survival mentality" changed the way Angeline viewed everything and "especially the people around me".

"I grew as a person and the more I grew the better I felt and the better I felt the happier I became," she said.

"My marriage became stronger and I no longer relied on my husband and family members to bring me happiness. I realised that only I can make me happy."

Part of her healing journey has been accepting medical help.

"My fight has seen me develop and grow, so when I no longer had the strength to fight about 18 months ago, I sought help once again from my doctor.

"He prescribed some medication. Reluctantly I took it and for the first time in my life I was set free from the dark places I sometimes visited."

Angeline is now reaching out to help others.

"I am so proud of how far I have come and if I take medication to help, than so what?" she said.

"I fought a grand fight and I am very proud of myself. I will not be the victim of other people's narrow minds and I am here to say to anybody on medication that you have nothing to be ashamed of."

Family Challenge Psychology Clinics know the importance of early intervention and prevention with depression and championed the R U OK? Day on September 13.

Clinical director Dr Rhiannon Penny said there were many people who might be struggling with mental health issues so it was important to stay connected and ask "Are you ok?"

"It's important that we don't lose connection with people and where they are really at," Dr Penny said.

No comments:

Post a Comment